INDT 501 – Week 9 – Mini Projects 1

This week we were asked to work on two mini-projects that use technology tools that could be applied in the classroom. I chose to use Comic Life 2 and Voki

Comic Life 2 allowed me to create a comic book without the guest work. I really enjoyed using the application and it was not hard for a first-time user. The application lays everything out in steps so nothing is confusing. There is still a lot of room for creativity as well, which can be hard with an application like this. I chose to make a comic book based on the Yalta Conference. In the beginning, I address the “why” and “who” of the Yalta Conference. Towards the end, I addressed why the Yalta Conference was important. As a prospective social studies teacher, I thought this application was great and that I could use it many ways in the classroom. I think its best use is as an introductory tool to a large group of topics. To have this application cover an entire topic would be a lengthy process, but the application certainly provides a way to differentiate instruction. The comic book approach is great for students who think reading is boring.

yalta 1 yalta 2 yalta 3

Next, I worked with the Voki application. To be honest, I was not thrilled by it. There are some teachers who don’t like talking and I get that, but the amount of work required to create the Voki is equivalent to talking. For my Voki, I made Professor Strawberry Vin Wind Top because those were the adjectives I thought of the describe the funny looking pink guy. I used the Professor to relate an assignmment to students. I could see how this application might be useful for auditory students or if people have missed a couple of days of class and they viewed to Voki on a website. The way I set up my Voki was on a separate google site that I made into a makeshift class web page. The Voki is under “Homework Assignments”. I also provided links to help with the assignment on the page. I am probably not so fond of Voki because it cannot be used intensely because students would get bored with listening to a computer generated voice. Also, I could not get the Voki to embed into the webpage, so I had to provide a link. The link makes the Voki less impacting on a webpage. It’s digital accessibility is lowered because no one wants to click on multiple things and places to get to where they need to be. However, I think the Voki does a great job of embellishing a web page.

voki

Voki Link: http://www.voki.com/pickup.php?scid=7750313&height=267&width=200

This entry was posted in INDT 501, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to INDT 501 – Week 9 – Mini Projects 1

1. Jordan Kroll says:

I also enjoyed using ComicLife, though I was disappointed by the fact that I couldn’t edit my photos in the actual program. I think that using ComicLife to explain historical events is a great way to appeal to students and make it more relateable and easy to understand. In your own classroom, would you create the comics for your students, or would you have them create comics to share with the class? I like that this program is versatile for nearly all disciplines, though I don’t suppose it has many practical real-world applications for people who don’t just enjoy making comics.

2. jdosch says:

Cassandra –
    I had the same problem with not being able to get my voki to embed on a webpage. I tried various webpages I have made, made new webpages, and nothing worked! I too had to include a link and a screen shot of my voki, and I agree that it is less effective in this format.

You make a great point that students will most likely get sick of sitting at a computer and listening to a voki that someone else created. That is why I think it would be a fun tool to incorporate, as a homework/classroom assignment, where students make their own voki’s to summarize what they learned that day in class or a reading assignment. This way students can make their voki as ridiculous as they want and still learn something!